The Dark Light of Day by T.M. Frazier
Narrated by Christian Fox and Lucy Rivers
Standalone prequel to the King Series. Adult Contemporary.
As someone who is scared of dark books, I have shied away from The Dark Light of Day by T.M. Frazier. I know everyone loved it, but something about “dark” in the title scared me away. But I finally listened to the King Series by T.M. Frazier this year and absolutely fell in love. Then one day I noticed The Dark Light of Day had a new cover, and it said that The Dark Light of Day is a “King Series Prequel”. WHAT? I had no idea they were related. I always thought it was a quietly sad book, not gritty. I was totally wrong.
As soon as I saw that it The Dark Light of Day was related to King, I grabbed it on audio. OMFG, I have had this on my shelf for like 3 years! I can’t believe I didn’t read it before! Yes, it IS a prequel, as King shows up in A Dark Light of Day, and it has the same rough, violent, sexy, gritty feel that the King Series had. And let me tell you, I loved it just as much. It’s hard to believe that this was T.M.’s debut novel.
Jake has had a rough childhood. Blamed for things beyond his control, losing his family and being left with a drunk, abusive father, Jake took off for four years, but he is called back to town to help with his father’s business.
Abby had one of the worst childhoods any girl should endure. With a junkie mom who whored herself out for drugs, it wouldn’t be long before Abby herself was offered as payment. She was finally shown some kindness when she went to live with her gran, but she was still broken, scarred, and couldn’t be touched. But when her gran died in an explosion, she was alone with no place to go again, and she sure as hell wasn’t going back into the system.
When Jake discovers Abby sleeping on his property, their connection sizzles.
“I contributed nothing and took everything. But to be fair about it, I also expected nothing from the godless world that ripped me apart at every turn.
I expected nothing, until the night I met a certain redhead with an attitude. The night I met Abby Ford, my life changed forever.”
These two broken souls had an instant bond, and for once, they each felt more than horrible despair.
“For the first time in a long time a bit of something I was unfamiliar with crept up inside me.
If I hadn’t known better, I’d have thought it was hope.”
As dark and scary as Jake was, he was the opposite to his “Bee”, there was no question about how he felt about her.
“You’re not nothing. Don’t ever fucking say that again, because you’re everything.” He said it again, quietly this time, “You’re fucking everything, Bee.”
When Jake has to leave town for a while, things take a turn, and let me tell you, T.M. Frazier is not afraid to write anything. While the first half, though gritty, was hopeful, the second half was scary, emotional and angsty as hell. But SO.FREAKING.GOOD!
- Amazing writing that sucked you in from the first word.
- Though dark and gritty and rough, the connection and love always give you hope.
- Abby was one of the most damaged, yet strongest females I have ever read about.
- Jake was everything you shouldn’t love in a man wrapped in a personality you can’t help but love.
- That T.M. Frazier was never afraid to “go there”.
- The amount of pain and violence in this book should have made me hate it, but I couldn’t put it down.
- The intense roller coaster of events and emotions.
- The end and the epilogue. OMG.
- Excellent narration.
- The connection came a little to quickly especially from Jake, with his background.
- Abby was almost too strong in the second half. I wanted to see a little more vulnerability.
- I would have liked a little more of Jake’s POV, but I understand we get it in the follow up novella, Dark Needs.
“We’re all a little damaged, Bee. Some of us more than others.”
The Down & Dirty:
“Sick, twisted Abby was in love with the sick, twisted beautiful Jake”
Rating: 4.75 Stars (First half was 4.5, second was 5), 3.75 Heat, 5 Narration
Purchase The Dark Light of Day by T.M. Frazier
*Note: I used the kindle cover for my graphics. not the audiobook.
KING SERIES BOX SET available for a limited time:
Leave a Reply