Rock Bottom (Tristan and Danica 2) by R.K. Lilley
Oh how I love this series. I fell for Tristan in the Up in The Air Series, and if you read the Up in the Air series before the Tristan and Danika series, you know the future, so going in to this, I knew it was going to be one hell of an intense, emotional read. Tristan and Danika are everything to each other and their feelings and need are so strong it’s like flying too close to the sun, they are bound to get burned.
“I love you,” he rasped out. He said it all the time. He didn’t hold it back, now that he’d admitted it, but it still gave me butterflies, every single time.
“I love you,” I spoke softly into his ear.
He gripped me harder. “I can’t ever lose you, Danika. I’m not sure I’d survive it.”
Rock Bottom was not an easy read. Told in dual POV, but with Danika’s point of view more of a retrospective, the foreshadowing in her words and knowing something devastating was coming kept you on edge the whole time.
“You’ve got me. And I’m not going anywhere. Not ever.”
I meant the words when I said them, but life had other plans for us. I was, by nature, a fighter, and no one could say I didn’t fight for us. I’d have given my life for that fight. In fact, I very nearly did.
Watching a couple who loved each other so much self destruct was not easy at all. Alone together they were perfect (though they really solved most things with sex), but the outside world kept pulling them apart. The party scene, death and addiction took it’s toll on Tristan and Danika too many times. When I was only about 20% in, I had to message RK Lilley to make sure that the third book would be AFTER the Up in The Air series so at least I know there was a chance for these two. Luckily, she assured me that yes, Lovely Trigger (Tristan and Danika book 3) begins right at the end of the third Up in the Air book, Grounded.
Tristan is still so crazy about Danika. She is his whole world. Reading about how much he loved her was incredible…though it was almost to the point of craziness.
“I owned that. She was mine. MINE. That sexy as hell creature belonged to me, and the second I thought someone else didn’t seem to understand that, I lost my fucking mind.”
Danika felt the same way. The two were explosive together. But Tristan’s partying, his band taking off, and Danika’s job and schoolwork all got in the way of their time together. When Tristan needs to go out of town, the rift just kept growing, especially with that dick Dean in the picture.
“There was an anchor, tied around both of his ankles, and it was taking him deep, into black fathomless depths, drowning him slowly but surely.”
“I didn’t tell him that he was dragging me down with him.”
They never fell out of love with each other, but Tristan needed a crutch, and when Danika couldn’t be with him all the time, alcohol and drugs were. Though he may have neglected the relationship for drugs, he never cheated, and he never loved her any less.
“She was the one. If I’d ever had a doubt, I didn’t now. She was the one I’d be thinking about, longing for, until I took my last breath. If I lost her tomorrow, I’d pine for her like a lovesick fool. This was the kind of love that only hit you once in your life.”
Tristan knew what he had, but love just wasn’t enough for these two. And then, like watching a train wreck…you want to put the book down but you can’t. You know something bad is coming.
And it does…and it gets worse.
“What was left of a woman when she gave a man everything? The answer was easy. Impossible to deny, even for me. Nothing.”
If it weren’t for the sneak peek at Lovely Trigger, I might be coming after RK with a kitchen knife right now. Luckily though, Rock Bottom…just the title alone lets you know that after you hit bottom, you can only go up. And these two NEED to find their happiness, which may only be together.
“He was too callous, too far gone to realize that I’d never be free of him, and that he’d really done was set me adrift. I never left that bed.”
Was Rock Bottom a cliffhanger? Not really. You knew going in how it ended, plus, R.K. (thank God) gave a peek at Lovely Trigger where it seems like after 5-6 years, the couple may have a chance at reconciliation.
- RK isn’t afraid to go anywhere. She takes chances and things happen to this couple that is just beyond heartbreaking, yet it never seemed morbid.
- RK Lilley can write so well that even the book that I didn’t want to read, that I wanted to put down because I didn’t want to see what happened was finished in 2 days.
- The sex! Yum, she knows how to write some good sex!
- Even though I loved Tristan in the first book, I started to hate him here, even though I still loved him. He just pissed me off so much!
- I can totally see why Danika gave in every time he made it up to her, he just loved her so much how can you stay mad?
- Danika was so strong, but while she was the Rock for Tristan, who was her rock?
- Seeing a scene with James (from Up in the Air) and a sub before he met Bianca.
- Incredibly well written.
- The changing POV and how Danika’s was told in a retrospective way with foreshadowing which kept the tension up the whole book.
- The peek at the next book (Thank God!)
- The worlds colliding bonus scene at the end where her paranormal books collide with the present day Up in the Air/Tristan Danika books. What fun to read!
- WAITING FOR BOOK 3!!! (Yet I almost feel like we should wait, because really, they wait 5-6 years!
- I love Frankie, but what the heck were those two chapters? I can see if they were her POV about Tristan and Danika, but it was like they had nothing to do with the book. In fact, I went to bed at night in the middle of that part, and when I picked it up in the morning I was so confused and couldn’t figure out if I was reading a spin-off or what.
- Turgid!!! (I hate that fucking word. Who uses it in real life?)
Rating: 5 stars, 4.5 Heat
Rock Bottom by RK Lilley was one of the angstiest books I’ve read this year, and I am usually not an angst lover. But I absolutely love this series. This couple needs their happy ending!!!! RK Lilley has gotten better with every book she writes, and no matter when it is, I’ll be right there to drop everything and read it. This year we have Mr. Beautiful (Up in the Air 4) and Lovely Trigger (Tristan and Danika 2). I just hope Lovely Trigger is soon!
Every question we have about Tristan and Danika from the Up in the Air Series is answered, and we know that 5 years later there is still a major rift between the couple. At least now we know why. I am just so ready to jump 6 years into the present! HURRY UP RK!
Up in the Air Series SHOULD be read first, and I think that is how it is meant to be, but you don’t have to.
Chronologically here is the order:
Rock Bottom (Tristan and Danika 2)
Lovely Trigger (Tristan and Danika 3) – coming 2014
Purchase Rock Bottom (Tristan and Danika 2) by R.K. Lilley
(Must read Bad Things first)
Make sure you enter my other giveaway HERE to win a $50 Gift Card from RK Lilley, and read an excerpt from Rock Bottom