I picked up Accidentally On Purpose by L.D. Davis after it I had so many of my readers recommend it. I knew nothing about it, but grabbed it anyway. I should tell you now, I have a thing about ongoing cheating on a good guy. There are two other books out there that most people LOVED, and just made me angry the whole time I was reading them. This one made me feel like that as well, especially during the first half, but I still enjoyed the angsty-as-hell book.
Emmy is a beautiful, cool, smart, outspoken Jersey girl. I like her character. She is an office manager and keeps the entire office together for her boss, Kyle, a total dick (her words, not mine). The entire office knows he’s a dick. Until one night, Emmy and Kyle end up getting drunk together, stuck in a snowstorm, and sleep together. Maybe he’s a dick in the office, but he knows how to use that dick outside the office, plus, he is much less of a dick outside the office.
“I was amazed at how easy he was to talk to when he wasn’t being a complete penis”
When Kyle realizes how hard Emmy works for him, she lets him know:
“You’re worse than a douche bag. You’re the douche puddle, the excrement of douching”
But that doesn’t stop them from having sex. The problem? Kyle comes from money and he has a steady girlfriend he is expected to marry. Though the passion between them is strong, Emmy breaks it off, and starts going out with Luke, an all-around great guy.
Emmy to Luke: “Have you seen your shit?” I asked in a high pitched voice. “There are horses across the state that are jealous of you”
Emmy is with Luke a lot, but she can’t help the pull Kyle has over her. A really strong pull. And though she knows she shouldn’t, she keeps sleeping with him AND Luke. Though Kyle knows about Luke, Luke doesn’t know about Kyle.
“It happened accidentally on purpose-my heart accidentally started loving two men, but I purposely (and stupidly) acted on it instead of walking away from one of them.”
Then the angst REALLY starts! She knew what she was doing, but just couldn’t resist Kyle, who wouldn’t let her resist.
“Kyle was a drug and I was the addict”
- I loved Emmy’s feisty personality at the beginning.
- There were a lot of really funny moments, especially the banter between Emmy and her mom, her friends and her guys.
- I loved the choice between the good guy and the bad guy
- You were able to feel the pull to Kyle
- Emmy’s indecision pissed me off.
- Emmy seemed so strong and independent in the beginning but ended up being weak.
- A twist that didn’t work for me, and there was no hint of, it seemed like an excuse. There was NO excuse.
- Though this book ends here, I didn’t feel like the end was final enough.
- Luke was awesome, I couldn’t stand what Emmy was doing to him.
- Not hot enough.