Up In Smoke by T.M. Frazier
Gritty Romance. Can Stand Alone.
I don’t know how TM Frazier does it to me every time. I don’t really love dark romance, but I don’t really think of TM Frazier’s books as dark, but more gritty. The thing is, there is so much humor woven through that the coarseness and violence never seems to get overwhelming. And despite the crazy personalities, these guys are romantic as fuck and have some of the most weirdly intense and romantic lines ever…in a super gritty sort of way. Like this:
“She isn’t under my skin. She’s fucking torched it. My flesh burns for her. She’s the flame and the balm, both painful and soothing. I want more of her. All of her. She owns me. Body. Soul.”
We really got to know Smoke in All The Rage. And although Up In Smoke stands alone, I suggest you read All the Rage first…actually, all of TM’s books! But this does stand alone pretty well. We get plenty of visitors from previous books.
Frankie is living a lie. She is hiding something, but we aren’t quite sure what. Smoke is out for revenge. He lost someone close to him, and he will make the killer pay. Step one is kidnapping Frankie to bring the killer out. Smoke is not gentle. He REALLY kidnaps her. But Frankie, as scared as she is, can’t help but feel something for Smoke.
Smoke knows that Frankie won’t make it alive, but it doesn’t stop him from wanting her.
“All of the nothing I am is now hers. She’s my victim, and I’m her tormentor. She’s my prey, and I’m the predator. She is mine to do with as I please. And what I please right now is to make her come. Make her scream my name.”
Frankie is a little confused about her feelings.
“I’m desperate to give my body to the man who may very well be the one who takes my life. And right now, I don’t fucking care. Because in Smoke’s arms, I’ve come alive.”
- Completely consumed me.
- The way TM Frazier can make me fall in love with monsters.
- So many amazing 1-line quotes.
- Boundary pushing.
- Plenty of humor, especially from characters crossing over like Rage and Preppy.
- All of TM Frazier’s books are completely unique.
- The visits from all my favorite earlier characters.
- I would have liked if she held out the hate a little longer. I felt like the meat of the story, the romance, happened a little too early in the book. Once they hooked up I was able to take breaks and not read so obsessively.
The Down & Dirty:
Rating: 4.5 Stars, 4.5 Heat
Purchase Up In Smoke by TM Frazier
(Can stand alone)