I read Playing For Keeps by RL Mathewson back in February (when it had a different cover), before I started this blog, but I always knew I needed to add this and Perfection, the second in the Neighbor From Hell Series to this blog, because they have stood out as two of my favorites.
In Playing for Keeps, Jason was Haley’s nightmare neighbor from hell for the last 5 years, and co-worker. She can’t get away from his obnoxious antics, but is so shy and reserved she never spoke up. One day, enough is enough. And when she catches him pulling up her tulips, Haley loses her mind and goes apeshit on him, and they begin a friendship. The friendship gradually turns into something more as Jason takes Haley under his wing.
This book was laugh out loud funny. It was a light, easy summer read that I read in one sitting with a stupid grin on my face the whole time. Jason and his family’s obsession with food was adorable, the sex scenes were hot, there wasn’t too much angst or suspense, and the characters were adorable and likable.
- The book had me laughing and smiling the whole time.
- The Bradford’s crazy food obsession
- Fun, sexy, quirky characters
- Though I loved the nickname “Grasshopper” it was said way too much
Rating: 5 stars for story, 3.75 H for Heat
If you are in the mood for a fun, light, happy, sexy read, this is the book for you. The next book in the series, Perfection was great as well, but very similar. I advise reading something else, maybe a little more angsty, then coming back to this series.
Books that are similar to the Neighbors From Hell books:
- The Redhead Series by Alice Clayton (See reviews here for book 1, and here for book 2)
- Friends with Benefits & Frenemies by CC Wood (See reviews here & here)